The Best SEO Checklist
Step by Step Checklist for Simple SEO
by Brian Alaway
Use this step by step BEST SEO Checklist to simplify your SEO efforts.
Keep it simple, keep it consistent and follow this simple checklist to ensure SEO success for your business.
Click the button above to download your complimentary Best SEO Checklist.
1. Start with competition analysis. Research the websites of your main competitors. Record their page and post titles. Look for repeating
words and phrases. Use tools like SEMrush, Ahrefs and MajesticSEO to research their inbound links (backlinks).
2. Develop your keyword themes. Using your competition analysis combined with your product/service titles, list your primary keywords, secondary keywords and longtail keywords.
3. Optimize your website using proven SEO on-site and on-page architecture. Layout your website like a book with an table of contents (top tier menu items), foreword/introduction (homepage/about page), chapter titles (page/post titles), footnotes (footer), index (categories, tags) and back cover (contact page).
5. Optimize your website for security. If your website is new, install an SSL certificate on your server and make your entire site secure (https://yourdomain.com). If your site is already non-secure, http://, create a phased plan to convert to SSL. Target your critical pages (order forms, checkout pages, etc.) first and then plan to phase in the rest. See Website Security – Hacker-Proof Your Website for details.
6. Use a reverse proxy cdn to improve website performance and security. You can start with a free service like CloudFlare or one of the paid services like Amazon CloudFront, MAXcdn or Incapsula.
7. Create a keyword focused content plan. Use a content outline keeping your articles/posts focused on one primary keyword and augmented with secondary and longtail keywords.
8. Create and follow a content calendar. Decide how often you’ll post and the best days and times to post. Decide who will create the content, who will edit the content and who will post the content.
Need Help Creating Your Content Calendar?
Here’s a blog post that will help you to create your content calendar like the Pros.
9. Take advantage of marketing automation. Plan your workflow for efficiency by automating repetitive tasks to minimize your time required while still optimizing your efforts for results.
10. Install Google analytics to measure and track your results. Track your traffic sources and evaluate the effectiveness of your layout, copy and design. Establish conversion goals and track your conversions.
11. Use pay per click to enhance your SEO. Create and test ads to drive immediate traffic to your website. Include your keywords in your ads and use your results as a feedback loop to improve your organic SEO efforts. Double your ROI with both short term wins from PPC and long term wins from SEO.
12. Optimize your social media profiles to increase your brand exposure and drive traffic to your website.
Focus on the major social networks like Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn if your business is B2B.
13. Optimize your Google My Business page if your market is local. Make sure your NAP – name, address and phone number – is accurate. Develop a plan to ask your customers/clients for reviews. Make it easy for them to leave reviews by providing instructions on where to leave their review. Monitor your reviews closely and have a plan in place to promote your best reviews and respond to any negative reviews. See this post for tips on optimizing your local SEO.
14. Optimize your schema markup. Although not currently a ranking factor, Google has stated that it may be in the future.
15. Don’t forget to click the button above to download the BEST SEO Checklist.
Worried about being overwhelmed with too much to do and too little time to do it?
We do ALL the work for you so you stay focused on your business.